4/18/2007

A LIFE INSURANCE ICON AND MENTOR

17 years before I entered the life insurance industry I met my life insurance agent on campus in my third year at university. As sometimes happens my roommate asked me if I would like to sit in on an initial meeting with an agent from Mutual Life. He knew I had a deep interest in the subject and thoughtfully extended an invitation.

I sat in.........met my agent Steve......purchased my first life insurance policy that evening......and was served by my agent until his retirement 5 years ago. Two years after I met my agent in Kingston I finished my schooling and moved to Montreal to begin a new career.

For 17 years I frequently asked my agent questions that were of interest to me and invariably received comprehensive typewritten detailed replies often 10 - 15 pages in length.......complete with ledgers, graphs and source notes.

Steve was an icon at Mutual Life and in the Canadian life insurance industry......a member of the elite Mutual Life Hall of Fame, a lifetime member of the Million Dollar Round Table, a prominent leader in The Life Underwriters Association of Canada (LUAC) now known as Advocis........and most importantly a consummate professional, gentleman, devoted husband and father. I was honoured to have him as my life insurance agent.....and lifetime friend.

Why this story? Steve Roughton was my model of professionalism and excellence.......the person to whom I looked as a basis for my own professional practice when I entered the field 17 years after we met.

Our models are the basis of our practice. If we are fortunate enough to have professionals who model excellence their legacy is continued through those who follow.When I entered the field I knew no other standard........and I have practiced what I observed throughout my professional life........with extraordinary gratitude to my friend and agent.Incidently, Steve's father and grandfather preceded him at Mutual Life and set the stage and their lifetime standards and expectations for his career.Sometimes we are simply lucky in our choice of relationships and friendships.

No comments: